Owain Glyndŵr's Wales
Owain Glyndŵr was married in the church of St Chad, Hanmer (perhaps in 1383) to Margaret (Marred ferch Dafydd), daughter of David Hanmer of Maelor.
The church was badly damaged by fire in 1463 and the present church is partly the work of the early eighteenth century, with some Victorian and some earlier material. A Medieval churchyard cross south-east of the church may be the only tangible relic of the Glyndŵr period.
The church is open all the time and has material relating to Owain Glyndŵr’s marriage to Margaret Hanmer inside. This consists of a series of nicely designed panels located at different points around the church, a series of monoligual leaflets, which are displayed at a visitors welcome desk near the door, and an exposition in a frame leaning against a chair next to the Glyndŵr coat of arms.
The Rev. RS Thomas was curate of Hanmer from 1940-1942 and some of his poetry reflects and celebrates the Glyndŵr uprising, providing a valuable means of interpreting this inspirational character.
This highly attractive village is easy to locate being just off the A539 to Whitchurch, with the church tower an obvious feature visible from this bypass. It is a relatively short easy car journey from Wrexham and Oswestry and has an open, welcoming ambience. It is also be possible to arrive via public transport from nearby mainline train stations. The church is central, easy to find and there are no problems with parking nearby.